Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Day 64

I am so excited to go home in less than two weeks!

I have such great friends and family that I get to spend time with, Bella gets to come home with me, and I get a much needed break! Life is so good :)

So in Numbers we are going over the 12 tribes of Israel's offerings... Grain and blood seems to be a common theme. It reminded me of how in church we have been talking about Cain and Abel and one of the things we discussed was why Cain's offering was not pleasing to God. One of the theories is that blood offerings are better.

But I just really love all of the passages about Jesus' stories.

"But when these things begin to happen, watch out! You will be handed over to the courts and beaten in the synagogues. You will be accused before governors and kings of being my followers. This will be your opportunity to tell them about me. And the Good News must first be preached to every nation. But when you are arrested and stand trial, don't worry about what to say in your defense. Just say what God tells you to. Then it is not you who will be speaking, but the Holy Spirit. "Brother will betray brother to death, fathers will betray their own children, and children will rise against their parents and cause them to be killed. And everyone will hate you because of your allegiance to me. But those who endure to the end will be saved."
 Mark 13:9-13

Can you imagine what it's like to go through the absolute worst pain and trials in the world? I just can't thank God enough that we live in a country where we don't have to worry about proclaiming our faith. If we were in a country like, Afghanistan or something, being a Christian would mean death or torture or both for sure. 

We are beyond blessed to have freedom of speech and religion. I wonder what was going through the disciples minds' whenever they heard how they would be tortured for the name of Jesus. Jesus is probably the most controversial topic in the entire world, and that includes nuclear weapons. Jesus is the name that causes the most pain and suffering, the most dissent and anger, the most controversy within nations, states, and families. The will of God is something that is most sought after, and most fought about.

There are people that mislead others for the name of God (don't drink the kool-aide right?) and there are people that seek power and control in the name of Jesus. 

This is tough stuff--this is hard stuff. And for me, the more I learn about Jesus and who he was and what he said, the more I feel lucky and also a bit guilty. Here I am, with the opportunities that I have been given, and what am I doing with them? 

Jesus is seriously the way, the truth, and the life. No one can get to the Father except through him--and it's a privilege to live in a place where worshiping him is so encouraged and the "norm." 

Dying on the cross for ME, for an unworthy sinner; to give me opportunities, to give me LIFE! Ultimately, to be everything... That's what this whole book is all about! Everything is helping us understand what it means to be close to God--to know him, to love him, to worship him!

God bless,
Lauren 

No comments:

Post a Comment