Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day 89

Last day of March! Can you believe it? March was amazing--got to go home, got some volunteer opportunities, got a great new job, made some new friends, and had some great, GREAT basketball experiences!! Let's see what April brings :) I know one thing for sure, it'll be my birthday.

I don't exactly know how I feel about getting older though. I mean, I feel like spiritually, mentally, and emotionally I'm at least 30, but my body hasn't quite caught up yet. You know, I've really been focusing on one month at a time--what can I do this month that will matter. What are my goals for the month. Instead of having a ton of New Year's resolutions--lose weight, volunteer more, talk to Grandma more, do better in school... Blah blah blah same ol' same ol', I've chosen (besides my Bible reading) to make MONTHLY resolutions.

This month my plans are to go to the Rec Center three times a week. Read two books for pleasure. And take Bella to the dog park once a week. Volunteer at the Pregnancy Crisis Center once a week. That sounds pretty legit, right? Good :)

I just love this season of my life! I have absolutely never been happier. I have never been more fulfilled. I have never been this wanting to serve. I have never been this adamant about reading my Bible. I have never had this relationship with God. And, well, quite frankly I've never drank that much coffee either.

This is what life's all about, right?! Even in the stressful times of our lives, we give praise to God and just love being His!!

I got the opportunity to speak at my young adults group at my home church, and honestly, I think I just rambled and didn't quite make sense, but I was really just trying to show people how important relationships are, and ultimately how great sacrifice is.

23 Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. 24 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 25 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed? 26 If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels. 27 I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see the Kingdom of God.”
Luke 9:23-27

That's just absolutely powerful to me. Take up your cross. Wow. Giving up your life. Hard... I guess giving up our live is dependent upon what defines our lives. I had to take quite a long look at myself to realize what defined my life and what I needed to sacrifice. You know what I found out? And it sucked... Honestly.. Is that what defined my life is what others thought about me--how they perceived me and if they liked me. 

My whole life centered around my friends, my peers, and people who I wanted to emulate. And they weren't the right types of people. My self-worth was derived from what they thought of me, what boys thought of me, just the thoughts of others. And those defined me. They defined my actions in situations, my words, and the way that I carried myself.

But you know what? I fully surrendered to God, and I'm not going to say that I stopped caring what others think, but I don't think that it is the symbol of who I am anymore. Who I am is a daughter in Christ who is just trying her best. Who I am is someone who loves the Lord so much, and is honestly willing to do anything, go anywhere, be anything for him. Who I am is not defined by society, who I am is now rooted in the Lord; my foundation is firm. My resolve absolute. I'm a child of God and that's all the identity that I need.

God bless,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment