Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 91

Yesterday was quite a busy day for me. Went to church for Palm Sunday (great service at Church of the Resurrection), and pretty much studied a TON for a major test I had today. You know, I am a little nervous, but not as anxious as I was for the last test. I think it's just because I've got the power of the Holy Spirit. So take that Latin IV!

But seriously, from my recollection of the horrors at Sodom and Gomorrah, I would not want to end up like that. The story from Luke was where Jesus was sending out his disciples to get workers for the harvest:

"
10 The Lord now chose seventy-two[a] other disciples and sent them ahead in pairs to all the towns and places he planned to visit. These were his instructions to them: “The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields. Now go, and remember that I am sending you out as lambs among wolves. Don’t take any money with you, nor a traveler’s bag, nor an extra pair of sandals. And don’t stop to greet anyone on the road.
“Whenever you enter someone’s home, first say, ‘May God’s peace be on this house.’ If those who live there are peaceful, the blessing will stand; if they are not, the blessing will return to you. Don’t move around from home to home. Stay in one place, eating and drinking what they provide. Don’t hesitate to accept hospitality, because those who work deserve their pay.
“If you enter a town and it welcomes you, eat whatever is set before you. Heal the sick, and tell them, ‘The Kingdom of God is near you now.’ 10 But if a town refuses to welcome you, go out into its streets and say, 11 ‘We wipe even the dust of your town from our feet to show that we have abandoned you to your fate. And know this—the Kingdom of God is near!’ 12 I assure you, even wicked Sodom will be better off than such a town on judgment day."

Luke 10:1-12

I can't imagine being WORSE off! And that's just if a town doesn't receive Jesus! What if you were actually a believer of Jesus in that town! Well, I guess you would go to Heaven? I'm not sure. But I definitely would not want to be on the wrong end of that. 

I think I wrote a few blog posts ago about the fascination I had with the roots and foundation metaphor, well Jesus always refers to his kingdom as "harvest" and the plants, the workers, the shepherds--the people of the land. Now this may be a bit of an elite-est interpretation, but I think that has to do with character more than actual job description. In my mind, people of the land are humble, they are servants to the land, they work hard to provide for their families, they aren't proud, rude, nor are they concerned with money and how to spend it. They take what they earn and they use it frugally and to the best of their abilities.


Now, that's a very gross generalization, but I honestly feel like, according to other passages as well, that by taking on the character of the "least of these," the lowly and humble, we are just happier because we aren't so much concerned about the cares of this world. We would just take care of God's creation and live our lives. 


I don't believe (and I am by no means a Bible scholar), but so far in my readings, that God ever refers to his followers as the Lawyers, the Pharisees (obviously), or any high-ranking official who cares more about cultivating the world than cultivating God's creation.


It's just interesting is all. Says someone wanting to go into the corporate world lol.


God bless,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment