Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 36

Happy Superbowl Sunday!

If the Giants don't win today, my house will be a solemn house because 3 of my roomies are Giants fans. I personally don't really care. I am not a huge pro-sports fan. I was cheering for the Texans because they are the hometown team, but I'm not going to go out and buy a jersey or anything.

KU Basketball and college football are a different story. Near obsession if you would be so bold.

I have been at the part in the Bible where God has been laying out all of his laws and expectations for the people of Israel. I'm not going to say it's rough getting through, but I have caught my mind wandering more than when I was reading of Moses or Isaac or Abraham. I understand though the importance of knowing God's expectations and these rules really exemplify his high standards for us. He gave them rules of society that they followed without question. We have rules of society has well, but I think that many people disregard them as dated. Let me tell you, the Bible is timeless.

I'm going to keep this post short today because it's Sunday and I have to feed my brothers and sisters breakfast before we go to church, but I just want to say that the Proverbs passage really took me aback.

Proverbs 7:6-23
"6 While I was at the window of my house,
      looking through the curtain,
 7 I saw some naive young men,
      and one in particular who lacked common sense.
 8 He was crossing the street near the house of an immoral woman,
      strolling down the path by her house.
 9 It was at twilight, in the evening,
      as deep darkness fell.
 10 The woman approached him,
      seductively dressed and sly of heart.
 11 She was the brash, rebellious type,
      never content to stay at home.
 12 She is often in the streets and markets,
      soliciting at every corner.
 13 She threw her arms around him and kissed him,
      and with a brazen look she said,
 14 “I’ve just made my peace offerings
      and fulfilled my vows.
 15 You’re the one I was looking for!
      I came out to find you, and here you are!
 16 My bed is spread with beautiful blankets,
      with colored sheets of Egyptian linen.
 17 I’ve perfumed my bed
      with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
 18 Come, let’s drink our fill of love until morning.
      Let’s enjoy each other’s caresses,
 19 for my husband is not home.
      He’s away on a long trip.
 20 He has taken a wallet full of money with him
      and won’t return until later this month.”
 21 So she seduced him with her pretty speech
      and enticed him with her flattery.
 22 He followed her at once,
      like an ox going to the slaughter.
   He was like a stag caught in a trap,
    23 awaiting the arrow that would pierce its heart.
   He was like a bird flying into a snare,
      little knowing it would cost him his life."

There is a very clear description here of what God has deemed immoral.
1. "seductively dressed and sly of heart"
2. "brash"
3. "rebellious"
4. "never content to stay at home"
6. "soliciting at ever corner"
7. "kissed"
8. "brazen look"
9. "seduced him with pretty speech"
10. "enticed him with her flattery"

What's the penalty?
1. "cost him his life"

I'm not going to go VERY in depth with this because this is going to be apart of my book, but God's design for men and women is clearly defied here. This is one of hundreds examples in the Bible of the type of women men need to seek and disregard, and the ways in which women should act. She threw herself at him. She dressed provocatively. She was everything that a Proverbs 31 woman is not. She wasn't modest or chaste at all. She worked, but not work that honors God, her future spouse, or her actual spouse.

What type of woman are you?
Are you a type of man that would even be around such a woman?

God bless,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment