Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 42

My sister is here and I am absolutely so blessed. We have had so much fun! We were talking yesterday in the car, and she said that it was strange that I knew a place so well that wasn't "home." I got to thinking that whenever I talk about my apartment, I call it "home." I call Lawrence "home" and I really love being here! Whenever I talk about my house in South Shore, I call it "my parents' house," which is weird! A year ago, I never would have thought I would think this way.

I think it has really hit me that I'm an adult, a big girl. I don't have to ask my parents to go somewhere, do something, or buy something that I want. But whenever I'm at their house, I do. I ask them if it's alright that I go places, hang out with certain people, or have people over. Here, I just do it.

We grow up. That's plain and simple. I look at my sister who will be 15 next week, and I can't even believe it.  I still think that she's like 6 in my mind and I have to tell her to run the ice cream scoop under hot water before getting ice cream into her bowl, or don't have soda because we already had cokes that day... I still want to take care of her... I always will because she's my baby sister.

She doesn't need me to take care of her anymore, she needs me to just be there as an older sister, listen to her, give her advice, and just have a relationship with one another.

I kind of feel like my relationship with Jesus is that way. When we are very young in our walk of faith, he literally takes care of us... Shapes us into the people he wants us to be and tells us how to do things. He gives us rules and instructions and we know the punishments for our sins.

But there comes a certain point where we know what we should be doing, where we have lived our lives long enough with Jesus that we know what he wants from us and how to do it. He is there for advice, for guidance, for an ear when we need someone to talk to... We have more of a relationship.

I have seriously enjoyed the time I have had with Rachel. She is growing into such an amazing young woman and I am so proud to see the wonderful lady she is.

God bless,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment