Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 21

This morning I'm feeling sick. I have a cold I think.. Or something. I had a hard time sleeping last night, I'm stopped up, I have a head ache.. Blah. But you know what? God has given me rest and peace. Instead of worrying about all of the things I have to do today, all of the homework I have- God has stilled my heart and every time I woke up last night, I just said a prayer. Hot tea is definitely going to be going through my body religiously today...

But prayer is a funny thing. When something bad happens, we remember to pray, before we eat we remember to pray (sometimes), and when something good happens, like really good, we tend to pray. But God wants us to pray ALL the time. He wants our hearts fully in his and he wants our dependence. I haven't always been the best with prayer, but I have done some things to remind myself I need to be praying all the time, and what/whom I need to be praying for.

1) I went to Hobby Lobby because I have saved up enough money to finally decorate my apartment a little bit, and I got all Christian decorations. I got plaques with Bible Verses, pictures, crosses--all reminders of my Creator, my Rock, my Everything. No matter where I look in my house now (well there are still a few empty walls) I am reminded of what I'm living for.
2) I don't really like to write on my hand, but I am going to start writing "prayer" on my hand just so it's literally, a constant reminder of what I need to be doing all the time.
3) I am making several lists of who I need to pray for, what I need to pray for, and blessings that I'm thankful for. I'm going to take them on my bathroom mirror so that every time I go in there (which is a lot) I know exactly what should be on my heart when talking to God.

Those are just suggestions that will help me personally to keep my mind and heart focused. Remember how I was telling you guys about a couple distractions that I had? Well thank you for your prayers, because truly, God has made those distractions just prayer concern. My life isn't about my career, about getting married, about anything else but serving God. I'm doing everything in my power to follow his will, and the rest will come. Although I have desires, it's not desperation, it's not discouragement. It's a hopefulness in the awesome things that God has in store for me if I focus on him. The amazing direction my life is going as long as I make my focus about serving him. I honestly have complete faith that God will provide and that he will give me the tools to be a successful minister for his Kingdom.

Yesterday, I was very excited to continue the story of Joseph! Today was so great, but not I'm even more excited to finish! How Joseph could provide a feast for his brother, money for his family, and care so much about them after they just about killed him takes sincere grace from God. He still hasn't revealed to them that he is Joseph, but he has treated them like kings. When he saw Benjamin, his full blood brother, he had to go into his room and weep.

Now one thing that I have come to realize in my lifetime is that there is a big difference between crying and weeping. Crying is a little bit causal, you might be sad, you might be a little bit happy. But when you weep, it's a deep emotional experience. Whenever I feel God's love just pouring into my heart, I absolutely weep. But let's say on a movie when there is something sad, I just cry. Weeping stems from your core, your heart. Crying is a mental stimulation.

But Joseph was weeping. He was stimulated from his core. He felt God's blessings in his life and he felt a heartfelt compassion for his brothers. Wow.
Stay tuned for the Joseph story!

The Psalm from today is probably one of my favorites I have ever read. Definitely going into my Bible verse memory book!
"16 He reached down from heaven and rescued me;
      he drew me out of deep waters.
 17 He rescued me from my powerful enemies,
      from those who hated me and were too strong for me.
 18 They attacked me at a moment when I was in distress,
      but the LORD supported me.
 19 He led me to a place of safety;
      he rescued me because he delights in me.
 20 The LORD rewarded me for doing right;
      he restored me because of my innocence.
 21 For I have kept the ways of the LORD;
      I have not turned from my God to follow evil.
 22 I have followed all his regulations;
      I have never abandoned his decrees.
 23 I am blameless before God;
      I have kept myself from sin.
 24 The LORD rewarded me for doing right.
      He has seen my innocence.
 25 To the faithful you show yourself faithful;
      to those with integrity you show integrity.
 26 To the pure you show yourself pure,
      but to the wicked you show yourself hostile.
 27 You rescue the humble,
      but you humiliate the proud.
 28 You light a lamp for me.
      The LORD, my God, lights up my darkness.
 29 In your strength I can crush an army;
      with my God I can scale any wall.
 30 God’s way is perfect.
      All the LORD’s promises prove true.
      He is a shield for all who look to him for protection.
 31 For who is God except the LORD?
      Who but our God is a solid rock?
 32 God arms me with strength,
      and he makes my way perfect.
 33 He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
      enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
 34 He trains my hands for battle;
      he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
 35 You have given me your shield of victory.
      Your right hand supports me;
      your help has made me great.
 36 You have made a wide path for my feet
      to keep them from slipping."
Psalm 18:16-36

I did a Bible study last year with some amazing women over the book Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard and it was absolutely amazing. It was all about a young girls struggle to get up a mountain to the high places. It was about all of the trials she faced by those trying to bring her down. It's an allegory, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Let me tell you, I feel like everyday we are alive, we climb up the mountain towards God. All we want is to reach the high places, to know God, to enjoy everlasting life in his Kingdom. But it's hard. It's tough, and sometimes we might falter. But guess what? God gives us our shield, he gives us our strength, he makes our feet to be able to take the rocky terrain, he makes our path wider and clearer, he does everything in his power to give us the tools to fight our way up. Like I was saying yesterday, all we have to do is ask. All we have to do is pray.

Also, if we want this reward, we have to actually USE God's gifts to fight for it. What good is our equipment that he has given us if we don't use it?

Ephesians 6:10-12
"A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places."

Use God's armor! Use his grace everyday in your life! Joseph did. The challenge is going to be that- a challenge. But the prize is beyond our imaginings. The prize is everlasting life with our Lord and Savior.

God bless,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment