Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Me!

This year, I have purposed by heart to serve God in a way I have never done before. I have always believed, I've always tried to put him first in my life, but let's face it--I ALWAYS fall short. I have been caught up in the ways of the world. I have not loved my enemies or my neighbors as myself. I have not taken care of my body as the temple God has designed. Ultimately--I have let the world dictate my actions and reactions.

Why start a blog? Well, because quite frankly, I have problems with following through on my commitments if there is no accountability. I easily make excuses for things and I just give up. Why do we always seem to accept the failures without a fight?? In 2011, I resolved to not drink cokes for a year (yes, I do call them cokes!) and it was pretty difficult, but there were always people around me who knew I wasn't drinking them and would be able to hold me accountable. This is what I'm hoping a blog will do--make me post about each day, the struggle's, triumph's, and God's presence in all of it!

The challenge? I am going to read the Bible in a year. The only way to combat the evils of this world is to know the word!

For Christmas, I got the One Year Bible and it divides the Bible up into passages for each day. My mama and I's morning routine has been to sit outside, drink our coffee, and read! She reads the paper and I have been reading books (even though I told myself that I was taking a break from reading because I read so much at college). I have finished two books already, and I started reading the Bible this morning. It opened with the Creation story of course. It was so serene, and so wonderful to be sitting in God's creation and reading how much it pleased God.

I think the passage that I read today that spoke most to me was Psalm 1:1-6. It says that believers should not be tied down to sinners. What struck me was that it's not the non-believers, but the SINNERS--those who believe and still choose to sin. Umm, everyone? I tend to gravitate towards those who sin, those who need help, but the problem is I don't hold my grounds and fall in the actions of those sinners.

The choice is mine--Are those who choose to live in sin, not caring about living righteously and striving for the fruits of the spirit the types of people I should be keeping in company? I love those people, they have been there for me, but my heart is telling me to get distance, to minister the best ways I can by example, but I know that I am weak.

Lord,  you deserve my all. You deserve every fiber of my being and you deserve my praises continually. I thank you, Father, for this life, for my wonderful and supportive family, for new friendships that are going to blossom in Your will, and ultimately, I thank you for life! Be my life, dictate my actions, and help me keep YOU at the center of everything. Praise God from who all blessings flow!

My God bless you,
Lauren

3 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME Lauren! We got the One Year Bible today too. I'm looking forward to finishing it! GOD bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! If there is anything I can do to help you as you accomplish your goals as you go throughout the year, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy new year and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I believe that God calls all of us to be his ministers and to truly know his word, but we have to choose to accept that calling!

    God bless and good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete