Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day 22

Well, a little bit shorter post today because it's Sunday! Well, I have a guest here staying this weekend because he is in the Airforce and moving to Minot, North Dakota. It turns out Lawrence is exactly half way! So he arrived last night when it was freezing in shorts and flip-flops. Texas kids... Anyways, I'm making breakfast for people this morning before we head off to church.

I really do love hospitality. I love cooking for people, serving, having others over.. I mean I love it all! I definitely feel like God has given me a heart for that to serve in his ministry in those ways.

Wisdom. Pretty much in every single reading, along with the Proverbs, there is some passage asking for wisdom or discernment or guidance from God. Wisdom is probably one of the most important things to ask for. Wisdom dictates how you react to every situation in your life. Wisdom is what gives you the ability to know the will of God. Wisdom gives you discernment when making decisions...

Proverbs 4:11-13
"11 I will teach you wisdom’s ways
      and lead you in straight paths.
 12 When you walk, you won’t be held back;
      when you run, you won’t stumble.
 13 Take hold of my instructions; don’t let them go.
      Guard them, for they are the key to life."

So asking for wisdom is the key to our life. The key that unlocks the door to God's will. The key that opens the gate to the narrow path to Heaven. Normally when I pray I generally ask for patience (character flaw), but somehow wisdom slips under the radar.

I guess that since it's not DIRECTLY stated in the fruits of the spirit, we forget to ask for wisdom in our lives. We ask God what to do, we ask God to give us guidance, but we never ask for the wisdom to discern what God is telling us to do. We never ask for the wisdom that will make all aspects of our life glorifying to God.

Galatians 5:22-23
"But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!"

Alright, so those are the character traits that God commands us to have, but we must ask for the WISDOM to strive for these things daily in our lives.

Joseph asked for wisdom when dealing with his brothers, he asked for wisdom in interpreting the dreams, he asked for wisdom in taking action so as to have food during the famine. God just doesn't tell us what to do, we need to ask for the wisdom to have the Holy Spirit give us convictions.

If wisdom wasn't important, there wouldn't be a whole book of the Bible (Proverbs) talking about how to get wisdom.

My challenge this week is I'm going to pray everyday for wisdom in my decision making, my actions, my relations, my schoolwork, and my ministry.

What's your challenge?

God Bless,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment